Fashion fabric designer/maker

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

"And from Daisy, not even a flower" - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ/SEEN heheh

The link (verging on a pun) of not even a flower from Daisy breaks my heart. And it breaks my heart even more dramatically when it's Leonardo DiCaprio as Gatsby getting shot by his beautiful pool, red spilling into the turquoise. The film (Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby if you hadn't guessed heheh) was exceptional. I loved Leonardo as Jay Gatsby, I loved Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway and I adored Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan. She was imperially enchanting and entirely heartbreaking. Just like Daisy is supposed to be. DiCaprio was undoubtedly Gatsby. There could have been no one else. And it's impossible to ignore Tobey Maguire as Nick, who had him down to a tee. His awkward politeness and genuine vigour underneath his bemused demeanour was wonderful.

I thought Luhrmann's use of contemporary music in the film was so innovative - it made everything feel exciting and fresh, just like it would have to the characters in 1920. If he'd have used proper 20's jazz then the atmosphere would not have been the same at all. And I can't write a blog post about the film without mentioning Carey Mulligan's outfit in the shirt scene. The ruffled sleeves, embroidery, fringing, hemline... so perfect. I was in awe. I know Daisy just can't find the right words to describe how she really feels when she says she's sad "because [she's] never seen such beautiful shirts", but I really did nearly cry at the beauty of her outfits. Too far?

image via W Magazine

1 comment:

  1. I just saw the movie... And from Daisy, not even a flower!! Why!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete